Community Based Instruction and Life Skills - Fast Food Restaurant
Community based instruction is so important for special education students, but these trips can put fear into the heart of the best life skills teacher. This fast food unit will bring you from planning to the execution of a successful community trip.
I've included everything including teacher notes and troubleshooting, trip visuals, schedules, menus, and classroom practice worksheets. I had my share of tough trips with my students with autism, even to fast food places which should be highly reinforcing!
This unit will help you find success in your community trips with the materials I created after much trial and error.
• CBI overview, considerations, suggestions and troubleshooting (7 pages)
• You’ll survive – “My students did that too”
• Dealing with community members
• Notes about how to use materials (9 pages)
• Planning sheet (1 printable, 1 editable)
• Parent letter (editable)
• Sample goals
• Documentation (1 printable, 1 editable)
• Packing lists (editable)
• Cheat sheet (editable)
• Photo and name cards (editable)
• Social narrative book (4 pages)
• One page social narrative
• Schedule cards and keyring visuals
• Green/Red schedule
• One page visual menu
• File folder visual menu
• Mini social narratives (3 pages)
• Bus rules
• Bus icons and match point (2 pages)
• Post trip worksheet
• Receipt activity
• Vocabulary cards (2 pages)
• Practice worksheets (38 pages) - see below for topics
Classroom Practice: includes 2 levels for each skill
• Vocabulary matching
• Food or drink sorting
• Small or large sorting
• Following directions
• Counting 1-5, 6-10
• Environmental print – signs
• Finding restaurant information
• Do you have enough?
• Dollar up
• More or less?
• Adding total cost
• Reading a receipt
• Fine motor and visual discrimination
This download is a zip file for ease of organization.
Please note: This is a digital download. You will download, print, and prep as needed. No physical items will be sent to you.